When I became a stay at home mom I discovered my new hobby!

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Thomas the Train Birthday Cake





This cake is for my nephew's 3 Birthday.  It made my day when he said a few times that he loved this cake!  This was so much fun to make.  The cake is my first strawberry cake and it got good reviews.  I used a 16 inch pan that hardly fit in my oven...so I had to cook it on the top shelf which posed a bit of a problem..but I was able to piece the cake together and nobody noticed the flaw's.  Thoma's face was probably my 6th attempt but I loved the way it turned out.   I carved the trains out of cake and covered with fondant.  The water is piping gel tinted blue over blue fondant.  Track is twizzlers, rocks are 2 different candy and the mountain is part of a stacked round cake covered in crushed chocolate wafer cookies. 

2 comments:

Ann said...

The cake was so impressive and tasted amazing! Everyone loved it and couldn't believe that you made it. Thank you so much for making such a special cake for Taj. He loved it!

Ellen said...

so awesome Mary!